Hey you! Has summer boredom gotten to you lately? Know people who are bored to death and don’t know what to do with themselves? Fear no more! Here is a list of ways to keep yourself busy collected from many online sources and people. Looking for more serious things to do? Check out these 10 pro-life ways to keep busy (or scroll to the end for specifically Catholic things to do).
- Go out for ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Makeovers (maybe even blinded)
- Have a paint fight
- Chubby Bunny
- Dramatic Hamster Reenactment
- Learn how to do each others hair
- Go to the beach
- Get your nails done at the salon
- Have a photoshoot
- Make or decorate T-shirts
- Draw (and fingerpaint!)
- Ride your bikes
- Take a day hike
- Have a picnic lunch at a park
- Dance party!
- Make up an ultimate handshake
- Go caroling to people’s houses (even after Christmas)
- Play Truth or Dare
- Play Would You Rather
- Skype people
- Have a race on your street
- Walk around your town
- Make friendship bracelets
- Mod podge something
- Just Dance
- Make a music video
- Go mini golfing
- Have a fashion show
- Mall Scavenger Hunt
- Pull pranks
- Dye your hair
- Call someone to tell them you can’t talk right now
- Fill water balloons with soap and water and wash your car
- Go to McDonalds and ask for a happy meal with extra happy.
- Put a Walkie-Talkie in a gnome and shout at people when they walk by!
- Put a dora doll in the middle of Walmart. When someone tries to pick it up yell “SWIPER NO SWIPING”.
- Put a walkie talkie in your mailbox and shout at everyone who walks by.
- Super glue a quarter to the floor and see how many people try to pick it up.
- Draw crazy faces on all the eggs in the fridge and make them look scared.
- With a serious face, order diet water when you go out to eat
- Hide a walkie talkie in your tree and scream when people walk by.
- Fill 100 water balloons and put them all on a trampoline see how wet you get
- Go into the middle of a crowd and call out a random name and see who replies.
- Stand in the middle of a crowded place and point up. Everyone will look.
- Empty out a stapler. Then go up to someone and fake staple their chest…watch the result!
- In the middle of a serious conversation, announce what color your toothbrush is.
- Put plastic wrap on a doorway and wait for people to walk into it.
- Put a stickynote on a drive thru microphone that says “Speaker broken. Please yell.” Wait and watch…
- Get friends and fill up balloons with paint and have a war.
- Give as many high fives to people at WalMart as possible. (Keep track and make high scores!).
- Point into the sky and say “Look a dead bird”. See how many people look up.
- Go to Burger King and ask them for directions to McDonalds.
- Walk through a store calling out marco and see how many polos you get back.
- Write, “I know where you live!” and put it on peoples mailboxes.
- Wrap each other in bubble wrap them run into each other
- Dress up like a secret service agent and follow random people around.
- Smile at random people passing by and when they smile back, frown.
- Sit on both of your legs. When both legs go entirely numb, RUN. You won’t make it.
- Go up to a person and ask “Can I ask you a question?” When they say sure say thanks and walk away.
- Run around the city tagging people saying “you’re it” and run away…see if they chase you.
- Make home-made ice cream and sorbet.
- Do summer twister by spray painting the spots on grass.
- Play water balloon sports (baseball, volleyball…)
- Water balloon piñata
- Beach bonfire
- Sleep under the stars
- Go camping.
- Play in the sprinklers
- Thumb wrestle
- Go to the library
- Learn how to fold origami
- Go fishing.
- Go Geocaching.
- Learn fancy jump-roping moves.
- Feed ducks
- Learn a line dance
- Go berry picking
- Game night!
- Finish that around-the-house project you’ve been meaning to do forever
- Make popcorn
- Color with crayons in a coloring book
- Drive-in movie
- Bob for apples
- Make some ideas from Pinterest
- Do game shows at home
- Go vader-ing
- Organize family photos
- Make an obstacle course
- Play in the mud
- Visit a nursing home and sing for them
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen
- Start an exercise program
- Go swimming
- Play Frisbee
- Send a hand-written letter to someone who could use a thoughtful note
Catholic things to do…
- Pray a novena
- Make a “Things Catholic ______’s Say” video and post it on YouTube
- Go to adoration
- Read a Catholic book (Here is a free copy of an MUST READ)
- Watch YouTube videos of Archbishop Fulton Sheen (He is a BEAST speaker)
- Volunteer at your church
- Go to Mass during the week
- Learn about saints
- Like Catholic Memes on Facebook and share the Catholic humor 🙂
- Pick a book of the Bible and use a guide to read it in depth
- Go to confession on a regular basis
- Call Catholic Answers Live with that burning question you have about Catholicism
4 thoughts on “Livin’ it up – summer shenanigans”
Great list, Laura!
For specifically Catholic ideas, I would add:
1. Learn how to, and make, a Rosary
2. Find a church nearby with relics of a Saint and go visit and pray.
3. Watch Classic Mother Angelica on EWTN
4. Read something by GK Chesterton
5. Plant a Mary Garden
6. Create an outdoor stations of the cross in your backyard
7. Make a meal for a neighbor you know could use a break
8. Offer to babysit for free for the Catholic Mother with more than 1.8 children
9. Write a Father’s Day card to your parish priest
10. Read about the Saint of the Day each day, by end of summer you’ll know about 90 amazing people.
11. Host a free carwash with your friends and collect donations for a crisis pregnancy center
12. Have an entire conversation with a friend in Latin, or chant it in English.